Wednesday, February 26, 2014

The Passion of the Christ

https://movies.yahoo.com/blogs/movie-news/10-things-might-not-known-passion-christ-011942797.html

Movies like "The Passion of the Christ," "The Greatest Story Ever Told," and "The Son of God," which I think is the title of the movie being released by Roma Downey and her husband, are precisely the reason I wrote "The Heretic's Gospel." Those movies show a very European Jesus, a god-man completely without a sense of humor or imperfections of any kind. Perpetually calm, sanctimonious, ethereal, and not the sort of man that I, personally, can relate to. Call me an iconoclast, but I like the idea that Jesus is more down-to-earth, more like the Common Man, more indicative of the fact that God exists in all of us. I can't relate to someone who believes with all of his heart that he is God's gift to the world, who is so above-it-all that he can't possibly relate to me and the things that I have gone through. But someone who has lived this life, made mistakes, gets angry and embarrassed, has doubts, and tries to make amends, that is the sort of person I can get behind with all my heart. THAT is the sort of person that I can believe in.

No comments:

Post a Comment